What Injuries At Work Are RIDDOR Reportable? header image

30th July, 2015

What Injuries At Work Are RIDDOR Reportable?

For an injury to be reportable under RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations), it must satisfy several criteria.

Firstly, the accident causing the injury must be work related. In relation to RIDDOR, an accident is a separate, identifiable, unintended incident, which causes physical injury.

So, an injury or illness resulting in time off work in itself is not reportable unless there is an identifiable event that caused the injury, such as lifting a heavy object, or an object striking someone for example.

Once you have established a work related accident has resulted in an injury, there are then several types of reportable injuries under RIDDOR.

Where injuries are reportable, the HSE must be notified by the appropriate means, usually via the online form. In some cases, the report may be made via telephone.

Under RIDDOR, you must keep a record of any reportable injury, disease or dangerous occurrence.

These types of reportable injury or incident are:


All deaths to workers and non-workers arising from a work related accident, including acts of physical violence but excluding suicides.

Major injuries

Major injuries include fractures, amputations, serious burns, loss of consciousness amongst others, including any injuries requiring admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours.

Injuries lasting more than 7 Days

Incidents resulting in a person being off work (or unable to perform their normal work duties) for more than 7 consecutive days.

Injuries to Members of Public

Injuries to members of the public where they are taken from the scene of the accident to hospital to treat injuries. There is no need to report incidents where people are taken to hospital purely as a precaution when no injury is apparent.

Dangerous occurrences

Several types of dangerous occurrence require reporting in circumstances where the incident has the potential to cause injury or death, such as the collapse of lifting equipment or scaffolding, unintentional explosions, accidental release of hazardous substances or gas, accidental contact with overhead power lines etc.


Employers and self-employed people must report diagnoses of certain occupational diseases, where these are likely to have been caused or made worse by their work. Types of occupation diseases include occupational dermatitis, hand-arm vibration syndrome, occupational cancer etc.

For more information on RIDDOR, you can take our RIDDOR elearning course. On successful completion of the course, you can download a certificate for your training records.

share on twitter share on facebook share on linked in share by email
This article was written by Emma at HASpod. Emma has over 10 years experience in health and safety and BSc (Hons) Construction Management. She is NEBOSH qualified and Tech IOSH.

Need Health and Safety Documents?

Search hundreds of health and safety documents ready to edit and download for your business.

Health & Safety Documents

Recent posts like this...

How To Write A Method Statement In 5 Minutes

Writing a method statement can be quite time consuming, you need to go through your activity step by step, considering the people, tools, environment, requirements, and how your work will be carried out safely. Ok, so we know what a method statement is, but how can we write one in 5 minutes?

Read Post

Risk Assessing Who Might Be Harmed And How

Step 2 of the 5 steps to risk assessment involves assessing who might be harmed and how. Assessing who might be harmed gives you the opportunity to look at which groups of people may be affected by the activity, and how they might harmed helps you decide what controls might be needed.

Read Post

How Often Do You Need To Review A Risk Assessment?

You might realise you need to review your risk assessments from time to time, and many people tend to go with an annual review. But there are times when risk assessments might need to reviewed sooner, let's look at when, why, and how often, you need to review your risk assessment.

Read Post

HASpod makes health and safety simple.

Learn More