How To Report An Accident Under RIDDOR header image

14th June, 2019

How To Report An Accident Under RIDDOR

Some accidents, incidents and work-related diseases have to be reported to the HSE under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR). And if you're wondering how to report a RIDDOR related accident, that's exactly what we are going to cover in this article.

If you need more information on what RIDDOR is, you can start with what does RIDDOR stand for?

Under RIDDOR, it is the responsibility of the employer or person in charge of the premises to report certain occurrences directly to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

A RIDDOR report is only required when:

  • The accident is work-related
  • It results in an injury of a type which is reportable

We cover what types of injuries, diseases and other incidents you need to report in what injuries at work are RIDDOR reportable? In summary, the things that need to be reported are:

  • Deaths
  • Major injuries
  • 7-day injuries
  • Injuries to the public
  • Diseases
  • Dangerous occurrences

Find out more about what you need to report in what injuries at work are RIDDOR reportable?

How to make a RIDDOR report

Once you know an accident or incident is RIDDOR reportable, you need to report it. Because RIDDOR is a legal requirement, it's important that you make your report as soon as possible. There are different ways in which you must report an accident under RIDDOR, depending on the type of injury. There are certain deadlines by which reports need to be made, depending on what you are reporting.

When reporting an accident under RIDDOR, it is important to make sure that the incident or resulting injury is reportable, and that the report is made within the required timeframe.

Some injuries are required to be notified immediately, some have a longer timeframe for reporting and can be up 15 days, or even longer in the case of diseases that may not be immediately apparent.

The timeframes for reportable injuries and incidents are:

  • Deaths (report immediately)
  • Major injuries (report immediately)
  • Injuries lasting more than 7 days - Incidents resulting in a person being off work (or unable to perform their normal work duties) for more than 7 consecutive days (report within 15 days)
  • Injuries to members of the public where they are taken from the scene of the accident to hospital (report immediately)
  • Dangerous occurrences (report immediately)
  • Diseases (report as soon as possible)

All incidents can be reported online through the HSE website. They also have a telephone service available for reporting fatal, specified, and major incidents only. This can't be used for other types of RIDDOR reports.

It is the ‘responsible person’ who must report under RIDDOR. This includes employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises. The responsible person should submit reports under RIDDOR.

  1. In these Regulations, the “responsible person” is—
    1. in relation to an injury, death or dangerous occurrence [...] involving—
      1. an employee, that employee’s employer; or
      2. a person not at work or a self-employed person, or in relation to any other dangerous occurrence, the person who by means of their carrying on any undertaking was in control of the premises where the reportable or recordable incident happened, at the time it happened
The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 Responsible person

Most RIDDOR reports should be made online via the HSE website. There are several forms available for the various types of reportable injuries and incidents under RIDDOR. If you need to submit a RIDDOR report, you can find the HSE report forms here.

The type of information that will need to be recorded includes:

  • The date and time of the accident or incident
  • Details of the person injured
  • The place where the accident or incident happened
  • A description of the circumstances
  • The date of notification
  • The method of notification

All incidents can be reported online but a telephone service is also provided for reporting fatal and specified injuries only, during office hours.

How to get a copy of a RIDDOR report

You must keep your own records under RIDDOR, along with reporting to the HSE. You can keep a copy of the online RIDDOR form. To get your copy from the HSE, you need to click 'Download to PDF' once you have submitted the form online. They no longer email you a copy of the form.

If you do not keep a copy of the online form, your records must include the date and method of reporting; the date, time and place of the event; personal details of those involved; and a brief description of the nature of the event or disease.

For more information on RIDDOR, you can take our RIDDOR elearning course. On successful completion of the course, you can download a certificate for your training records.

share on twitter share on facebook share on linked in share by email
This article was written by Emma at HASpod. Emma has over 10 years experience in health and safety and BSc (Hons) Construction Management. She is NEBOSH qualified and Tech IOSH.

Need Health and Safety Documents?

Search hundreds of health and safety documents ready to edit and download for your business.

Health & Safety Documents

Recent posts like this...

Accident Books, The Law, And How To Complete Them

Do you need an accident book at work? When should you complete it? Who fills it in? Is it a legal requirement? If you find yourself with questions about the accident book, read on, while we look to answer all of these questions and more on accident books, the law, and how to complete them.

Read Post

10 Tips For Writing A Method Statement

Method statement are important documents for completing activities safely. But while method statements are important, they can also be difficult documents to write, so where should you start? In this blog post we give you 10 tips for writing a method statement.

Read Post

RIDDOR Reporting Timescales Explained (When To Report)

Knowing RIDDOR means understanding not only what to report but also when to report. Under (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations) there are duties to report certain types of injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences. What are the RIDDOR reporting timescales?

Read Post

HASpod makes health and safety simple.

Learn More